Friday, December 31, 2010

Things I Discovered in 2010


I realize that some of my favorite discoveries of 2010 will be old to many of you. But, don’t destroy my joy, these things are new to me so they are still shiny. These are in no particular order, however I know which ones I enjoy the most.

1. The Droid - I told myself I wouldn’t buy a smart phone, but… alas… there’s a sucker born every minute. The woman at the store told me that I could change the settings so the phone wouldn’t say “Droid!!” every time a text, email, or facebook notice came in. Silly lady, that’s the best part.


2. The IT Crowd - My friend introduced me to this television show. I watched only a couple of episodes and ordered the entire series. I believe in American Exceptionalism… except… maybe… just maybe… when it comes to British comedy shows the British take the cake, tea, and crumpets.


3. Despicable Me - I loved this movie. What can I say? I’m a sucker for a villain with a heart of gold… and… kittens… and… fluffy unicorns. Weird but true, in the past I’ve enjoyed the adult movie comedies such as Office Space more than children‘s movies. But, in my opinion Hollywood has done a crappy job with the adult comedies lately and has definitely stepped up their game with the kid’s cartoons.



4. iPad - This was a gift and I know there were lots of funny jokes about Apple choosing the name “iPad” on Twitter. But, man… oh… man… is it fun. Also, I was introduced to the vast World of Apps.

5. Pawn Stars - Part lessons in history, part lessons in negotiating prices, part freaky Las Vegas culture and part awesome. I’m not a fan of reality television shows (although I *could* possibly be familiar with TLC’s Baby Story and the first seasons of ABC’s The Bachelor) but this one is fun to watch.


6. Bully Beatdown - Who doesn’t love a bully getting his or her comeuppance? The rule of thumb is, the bigger they talk… the bigger they fall. The host Jason “Mayhem” Miller does a great job of being a commentator *and* he’s nice to look at. ;)


7. Better Than Sex Cake - I was at a restaurant drooling over their Italian Chocolate Cake that had toffee in its icing and the waitress told me she ate a better cake. My first thought is that it wasn’t possible. She wrote down the recipe and the rest is history.
Ingredients:
1 German chocolate or other chocolate cake, baked, 13x9x2-inch
3/4 cup fudge topping
3/4 cup caramel or butterscotch topping
3/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
6 chocolate covered toffee bars
1 tub of whipped topping or 1 envelope Dream Whip, prepared with milk
Preparation:
Do not remove cake from pan. After the cake has cooled, make holes in the entire top of the cake using a large fork or the handle of a wooden spoon. Pour (one at a time) fudge, butterscotch, and condensed milk over the top of the cake and let each flavor soak in before adding the next. Crush 3 of the candy bars and sprinkle on the top. Frost the cake with the whipped topping and crush the 3 remaining toffee bars to decorate the top. Try to keep your hands off of this great cake before serving!

8. Wasabi in tubes - Yes, like toothpaste. I was only accustomed to wasabi at Asian restaurants and had no idea I could have it for my own devious enjoyment at home. I am a *huge* fan of spicy food. So this discovery made it much easier to add spice to random food items. I can’t disclose everything I’ve tried it on.


9. Hazel - Trust me. She’s worth watching.


10. Fondue - Sure, fondue was popular in the 1970’s with all other freaky deaky stuff. But, I like that it’s making a comeback… or… at least in my household. One of my favorite books on it is called Dip Into Something Different. Just because the title makes me laugh.

These are my discoveries for 2010 and I would love to hear about yours. Happy New Years to you!!

Cross Posted at Pundit League.

2 comments:

Pedaling said...

You just discovered the better than sex cake?.. Oh, well, better late than never!

I would really like an Ipad.
I have a droid and miss my Iphone. Should.not.have.switched. Maybe if I just got the I-pad, I'd be okay with it.

Love your discoveries...now on to a new year of things just waiting for you to notice!

ninnuh said...

Yep, just discovered the cake. :) I love the iPad, but probably because it was a gift and I didn't have to pay for it. Thanks! Have a Happy New Year!